20 years after the outbreak of war between Eritrea and Ethiopia, 18 years after the armistice and 16 years after the arbitrable judgment, an unforseen development put an end to a period of “no war – no peace”. Both countries and their peoples had suffered for years. But today hope prevails.
On July 9, 2018, Eritrea and Ethiopia announced a joint declaration of peace.
Both presidents Ahmed Abiy of Ethiopia and Isayas Afwerki of Eritrea share the will to overcome the past. President Abiy’s visits to Asmara and president Afwerki’s visit to Addis Abeba have mobilized hundreds of thousands, in Addis even one million of jubilating people. The peace process has gained momentum.
Quite a lot of problems still remain to be solved. But the important first steps have been done and more will follow.
This documentation collects some recent articles to get a better understanding of these thrilling days in June and July, days that changed the political map at the Horn of Africa. The documents have been taken from news agencies and official newspapers. The selection is not based on a scientific research but aims to give an overview on the development.
- Timetable of the developments
- Ethiopia’s PM says ending war, expanding economic links with Eritrea key for regional stability
- Eritrea – Ethiopia: Once Bitten, Twice Shy
- President Isaias‘ Speech on Martyrs Day, June 20, 2018
- ‘Selam’ at Last! – Eritrea and Ethiopia join in peace after two decades of hostilities
- Joint Declaration of Peace and Friendship between Eritrea and Ethiopia
“Yes Peace, No War.”
- Eritrea and Ethiopia: Recap and Brief Commentary on Recent Developments
- President Isaias arrives in Addis Ababa
- Eritrean, Ethiopian leaders call new peace example to Africa
- President Isaias Afwerki’s Official Visit to Ethiopia
- A Historic visit reciprocated with Peace and Friendship
- Eritrean Embassy in Addis Ababa Reopens
- Peace in the Horn: An Idea Whose Time Has Come
- Ethiopian Airlines Makes Historic Flight to Eritrea
- Interview with Former Ethiopian PM Hailemariam Desalgne
- Eritrea in New Bid to Woo US Investors
- Statement by Mr. Nebil Said, Counsellor, Permanent Mission of Eritrea to the United Nations, During UN Security Council Meeting 8322 New York, 30 July 2018
Compiled by Hans-Ulrich Stauffer
Basel, 30 July 2018